Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Why I am switching nail salons...

**Disclaimer - This post is less-than-enjoyable to read.  It's sort of sad and a bit disturbing.  Read at your own risk and don't claim I didn't warn you.**

My twice-a-month manicure and not-nearly-as-often pedicure are two of my favorite ways to treat myself.  Tiny indulgences that are budgeted for and get me through some weeks.  I've been a regular at a salon that is literally right next to my building for about three years now.  (Wow, I cannot believe I've been working in the city for five years.  It doesn't seem that long.  I remember being so freaked out by the idea of it when I was interviewing at my company!  But, I digress...) 

Every other week, I pop in - usually around 2ish - for a quick (we're talking 20 minutes people) and simple manicure.  I don't always get the same person, but I am a familiar face.  No appointment needed, short and square, same(ish) color every time (a nude or pinkish tone) - no frills.

Two weeks ago, I stopped in - for a pedi this time.  I probably get about six pedicures a year, and mostly in the summer months.  They take a little longer (but not much) and are twice as relaxing.  A magazine and a working massage chair are all I need to forget, temporarily, that I am at work and truly relax.

So, back to two weeks ago, I think it was a Wednesday.  Sitting in the chair and enjoying OK! Magazine (I am obsessed with the Kardashians.  Admit it, you are too.), I was halfway through when an older woman came charging through the salon, heading quickly towards the bathroom and being shouted out the entire time by the employees.  Apparently, they did not want her using the bathroom as she wasn't a customer.  They chased after her and steered her out - everyone in the tiny salon was watching the whole thing.  I didn't realize until she was on her way out that her pants were soaked.  She had wet herself.

Sad.  I told you.

She didn't look too old, and she was mobile.  No walker, no cane.  She was dressed a bit odd, but who's to say?  She didn't look homeless either.  Apparently, she just had an accident.  Maybe she was sick.  Maybe she just literally could not hold it. 

The whole thing was over right after it began.  She fled the salon and wouldn't even look up, clearly embarrassed.  The woman in the pedicure chair next to me mentioned that it looked like she had purchased clothes from the consignment shop next door.  She remarked on how sad the situation was, how the salon should have let her use the restroom and how the woman would not even look at any of us.  I mean, how embarrassing. 

I started to get angry.  Why couldn't they let this woman use their restroom?  I do understand that, as a business in Center City, they need to be careful about wanderers coming in to use the facilities.  But, this was different.

A distinct smell permeated the space, it was unmistakable.  The employees and other patrons started exaggeratedly holding their noses and and spraying everything in sight.  Rolling their eyes and laughing - yes, laughing - they made sure that the smell was covered by some awful perfume, cleaning products, anything with a scent.

This made me even more angry.  If my feet weren't elevated and covered with soap, etc. I might have walked out.  Maybe I should have.  I couldn't believe the insensitivity.  And I don't mean to judge the employees or the other patrons - I really don't.  It just shocked me.

This shook me up as I paid for my service, I couldn't get the vision out of my head.  I couldn't stop thinking about this lady.  I proceeded down to the CVS and I saw her, sitting on a bench outside a bar.  She seemed content and she had changed into a new pair of pants.  I guess somewhere had let her use their facilities.

Needless to say, I won't be going back to that salon.  It just doesn't feel right.  I wanted to write them a letter, telling them they'd lost a patron over that whole ordeal.  But no, there's no need.  I'll just find another place, the prices are all the same around here anyways...

Am I being dramatic?  High and mighty?  I don't mean to be.  Change is good sometimes anyway.  And I hope that lady is doing ok...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails