Thursday, January 03, 2008

Walking In Memphis

In the spirit of doing something different for New Year's, and in an effort to capitalize on her US Air perks of flying for free, Peg decided she wanted to go to Graceland this year and see the home of her beloved King of Rock and Roll. As many may know, once she decides to do something, nothing really stops her and she usually does it. For this particular jaunt, she needed a partner in crime. I am usually up for anything, so on Monday, Dec 31st, we boarded a plane headed for the Land of the Delta Blues.

Only staying for one night, we packed light and had minimal trouble with getting there, despite the layover in Charlotte. The small plane from Charlotte to Memphis, I think, was the first time I was ever on one of those. We landed and hopped in a cab to the Days Inn Graceland - which runs Elvis movies 24/7 on their TVs and has a guitar shaped pool.

I love to travel and there isn't anywhere I wouldn't go. There is something inside me that wants to see everything, even if it is nothing to somebody else. I can't explain it, it's always been there. Driving through the area of Memphis where Graceland is wasn't what I expected at all. It is a very industrial, run-down area with abandoned buildings, storage facilities and factories. As we turned onto Elvis Presley Blvd., I expected much more than a Taco Bell and a used car dealership.

It wasn't nearly as tourist-y as I had imagined either. If there wasn't a sign saying "Graceland Parking, Right Lane", you might actually miss it. The house itself could qualify as a mansion, but it's smaller than I pictured. For some reason, I envisioned something like The White House.

By no means was I unimpressed! Stepping through the front door and seeing the insides of where a legend lived was surreal. Exploring the rooms and walking through his hallways - this was his HOME. He ate, slept, entertained, sang, lived and sadly, died in this place. To me, the most interesting things to see were his real things like Lisa Marie's swing set and a Christmas card from Connie Francis. The Meditation Garden, where he is buried, also gave me that sense that it was a special place.

We enjoyed the tour, listened to our audio and heard the voices of Lisa Marie and the narrator, and took tons of pictures. After shopping for souvenirs, we ate dinner and went back to the room. One hour of an Intervention marathon, we were sleeping by the time it was 2008.

Seeing Graceland was a great way to start a new year, and a trip I will always remember. I want to make a tradition of this, visiting a new place each year with my Mom. New Year's Eve is the ultimate in overrated holidays, if you ask me. You spend tons of time (and money) making big plans and it usually turns out to be a bust. Although, I do have a special place in my heart for the Mummer's parade on New Year's Day, which I missed this year of course, but even that gets tired. Wandering around Center City in 22 degree weather with a bag of Bush cans...having to pee ALL day...always losing the people you go with...OK, I guess I do miss it. There is always next year for meeting at the Clothespin and starting at the Trophy at 9 am...

This year - it was me, Elvis, and his number 1 fan...and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok this is really creepy, because just last night I decided that what I want for my birthday (in November) is to go to Graceland with only my mother (meaning: leave the husband and kids at home) becuase she's the only one who would appreciate it as much as I would. I guess your blog was meant to be verification that that's exactly what I should do.

Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails