Monday, September 21, 2009

"These are the days it never rains but it pours..."

**This is a post I wrote for a work blog. Call it recycling. It's Monday.**

Leave it to Queen to so perfectly pinpoint what a typical day might sometimes feel like, here on the 28th floor of 1818 Market.

And who doesn't love Queen?

It is more than safe to say that we operate under high, and sometimes extremely high, pressure circumstances here at Richardson. Collectively, we thrive on it and it is what keeps us on our toes. At lightening speeds, we move through the day, multi-tasking and following-up. And although sometimes we may leave in the evening feeling like we've just run though quicksand - exerting tons of energy but not really moving anywhere - great progress is made here. Every single day.

Pressure is not only a familiar feeling for us, but one that we should be aware of, as a company. Personally, I have been realizing lately that a lot of the pressure I feel is self-imposed. Deadlines, projects and clients are nothing compared to what is going on in my head most days. I wonder if I am alone in this category and, knowing most of the team for the better part of three years, I have a feeling I am in (good) company.

Imagine someone hands you an exceedingly heavy suitcase and asks you to carry it for them. It is huge, awkward and more than you alone can handle. Would you grab another one and pile that on top as well?

You'd set it down and make a dash for the nearest pal to help you out. You'd look eagerly for one of those handy airport carts and throw the suitcase in there. You'd find some creative way to balance out the weight.

I think of this analogy (shared with me by phone coach, Patti Clark) every single day and the e-mails appear in my inbox and the suitcases pile on. Instead of applying extra pressure on myself, I try to look for little tactics to better support myself and balance out the weight, both in the office and at home. Undoubtedly, these tactics will look different for each and every one of us.

For me, it's getting out in the Center City air for at least 15 minutes a day, at least eight hours of sleep a night and a light-hearted e-mail exchange with my college roomates.

And, of course, some Queen...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails