Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Exercisin - In more ways than one...

In another effort to try and get back to myself, I have started working out again. Working out physically - firstly, walking around the little courtyard out back of my apartment on these cool summer nights (while they last). And secondly, below, working out my mind, my fingers and my writing muscles by completing an exercise from an article that a friend sent to me.

The article, entitled "Everyone Has a Story To Tell" is filled with many assignments to help jump start ideas. My friend who sent it to me must have known I need some grounding inspiration, I am the definition of all over the place lately. Expect more of these, everyone needs a little help sometimes.

"Write two pages of instructions to the child you once were."

Believe me, it is not as bad as you think it is. Whatever you are stressing about, and you may not even use the word "stress" at such a young age but that's what it is, please try to let it go and enjoy yourself. That is all you have to do right now, enjoy yourself.

Do not be so self-conscious. Yes, you are pretty geeky, but you are also kind of cute. The length of your bangs or your skirt will not matter in the long run, although it feels so important at the moment.

Try to understand that fitting in with everyone else is boring. Try to let go of the idea that you have to be normal. You'll learn there is no such thing.

Speaking of learning, be forever knowledge-hungry and don''t ever stop asking questions.

Make an effort not to judge others so quickly. This is a tough one.

Savor, remember and reflect on (maybe even write about?) all the time with Mommy, Daddy and Jenna - every vacation, every weeknight watching TV, every dinner, every night you sleep on the floor of their room in the air conditioning...

Let's take it further with savor, remember and write down as much as you can stand to about Daddy. You are doing an OK job and your memory is pretty good, but you'll want much more. So much more. You'll want every detail, so spare nothing.

Take more pictures and get the film developed. Put the pictures in albums.

Be kind, be open-minded, and be honest. Think about each of these words and how they apply to your life at this time.

Do more self-reflection, as it will help you become self-aware.

Don't fist fight Jenna, it's kind of trashy. Don't pull her off your bed by her feet so she hits her head on the frame, hard. You will regret hurting her, even thought she doesn't hold back in hurting you. Another tough one, but it's something you'll need to learn how to do sooner rather than later.

Write more.

Try not to take advantage of the things you are given, which are many. You have privileges, gifts, opportunities, and the wherewithal to move through the next few years with grace.

Pay attention. To everything.

Break out of your shell a little bit.

Stay in touch with people who've left their mark on your heart - there will be quite a few.

Listen to more music, different from what is playing on Eagle 106.

Remember what I said about savoring the moments and that goes for all of your family members, but most specifically your immediate family. I really mean this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this idea....I'll hafta copy off you so you can get a blog outta me...LOL! You really brought it back with Eagle 106!

Anonymous said...

I like this idea too!

And I want to tell Child Gormley that she was always a really fun girl who treated everyone well. I remember Child Gormley sticking up for me to Tina Parker on one of the random days that she decided she was mad at me.


Kimba

Related Posts with Thumbnails